Thursday, January 31, 2008

........and now I close the final curtain, or do I?


Well I've reached the end of 23 things. It's been a great learning curve and some of it has been fun. Creating my own blog I've really enjoyed, I've discovered that I'm not interested in My Space, Second Life or Facebook, but it's been good to check them out, use them a bit and then make an informed decision based on that experience. I like the autonomy of my own blog, rather than the more formulaic approach of Facebook etc.

Del.icio.us, Google reader & my iGoogle page are all useful and I really like the portability of these tools, being accessible from any PC you happen to login to. I think I'll get more into Flickr maybe take out a sub, so I can store more photos easily online, as currently my storage of digital photos is a bit chaotic!

In terms of work it's been a really useful way to get first hand experience of tools and ways of interacting, that are increasingly so familiar and so used by many of the students we deal with. Being given the opportunity and time to explore these as part of our working day has been a big plus. I am going to explore the possibilities of using a blog as a liaison tool with one of the Departments I liaise with and see how it works.

Personally, it's been really interesting to find out about similar interests that I share with other staff and maybe this would never have been revealed if we hadn't been blogging. Will I continue to blog, at this stage I'm not sure..... I am thinking about setting up a blog to keep in touch with my large extended family in France & Wales, as it would be a great way to share life events & pics with them and they only need to look at it if they really want to.

I would like to keep blogging with staff and I like Tony's idea of a staff blog, as he says: "Maybe a shared blog where anyone can post anything that might be of interest and people can comment if they want to? It would be a shame if it all just stopped now that 23 Things has officially ended."

3 comments:

Bonito Club said...

Hi M. Congratulations on finishing, and I hope you keep blogging. Yours is one of the ones I check into to see if there's anything new!

jwa said...

Thanx T that's good to know, it will inspire me to keep blogging!

Cleve F. Carvalho said...

Congratulations Mary!
Your enthusiasm with the 23 things tasks was very infectious, you certainly inspired me. I am glad to hear that it was an enjoyable and worthwhile experience for you. You have certainly become quite proficent at blogging. I enjoy visiting your blog occasionally. I hope your exploration with blogging as a liaison tool will be successful. I also hope you will continue to use some of the other Social Networking Tools. All the best for the prize drawing. Thanks for participating and for helping out as well.
Regards,
Cleve