Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Laurie Anderson

Went to Laurie Anderson's talk/discussion last evening....very interesting. When she was asked what she saw as beauty, she answered for her it was empathy & she likes this to come through in her work too. To get outside of me, me, me!

I'm going to Homeland tonight, really looking forward to it. She said that this show was sparked by anger, as artists generally in the US are not speaking out about what's happening in the States & that makes her very angry. Although her work has never been greatly political she feels she can not remain silent now.
Laurie Anderson's homepage

Thanks to Mishalleneous from Sea of Memes blog I discovered that Laurie Anderson has a presence in My Space too!
Laurie Anderson on My Space
Some interesting YouTube video clips here

4 comments:

Bonito Club said...

Bonito Club's partner Mr. W. went too and he thought it was BRILLIANT. He used Facebook to send her a message about how much he loved the show.

jwa said...

I totally agree with him, it was a brilliant show! I was swept away by it....engaged by her music, poetry, storytelling, insight and in admiration of her being 'out there' with her comments on society & the US. A night to remember! Tonight I'm going to see Sankai Juku, the Butoh group....adore Butoh do you?

Bonito Club said...

Oh I'm jealous! I adore Butoh too, so beautiful, strange, almost from another world. I saw the beautiful Sankai Juku poster the other day...

Mishalleneous said...

I just saw your post today. Homeland was a wonderful experience, wasn't it? Hypnotic and ecstatic and funny, wry and relevant. I'm so excited to find you're a fan as well.